Friday, March 2, 2012

University Life

I don’t know where to begin! This first quarter at Western Washington University has been a whirlwind and it’s just about over already.

My classes started off pretty interesting. Cognition is all about how people think, and I’ve learned a lot about the specifics of the human mind. Pretty interesting stuff!

Abnormal Psychology has been a lot of repeat information since I already took Abnormal Psychology in 2009 at Las Positas Community College. I am not sure why Western would not accept it as a transfer. I am still working on that… The professor has never taught a class of this size (85 students), so the class seems incredibly disorganized. I went to speak with him and I’ve decided to take a class with him over the summer. It seems he would be a great teacher in a smaller classroom when students could participate in discussions. I am looking forward to it!

The most interesting class is my Environmental Science class. It has over 400 students!! I heard it’s the biggest class on campus. I figured it would be a typical general class, but I have learned a lot and have come to respect the Earth a lot more. I’ve learned about Climate Change, and Genetically modified food, watersheds, and human population. I feel I can have more intriguing discussions about these things. Yay! School is doing its job. hahahah

After a few weeks of getting through my classes and not meeting many people my age, I thought I would go out on a limb and post on the schools forum. I posted that I was looking for other folks who were 25 and older, and return students. It’s amazing! There were many folks who responded and I’ve meet some great people for coffee a few times and a few of us went bowling. It’s been a fun experience so far and I am so happy that there are people at this University that are in my age range. We talk about some interesting and different things that would be hard to discuss with traditional students. I am thrilled that I went against my character and looked for similar students. I think I could have gone the entire year here and not met these new friends I now have.

Another great outcome from my forum posting was being interviewed by Western Washington Universities magazine. A writer was doing a study on returning students and how times change the experiences at a University. The article ended up not being published because the University was not able to provide her with enrollment details for non-traditional students.

So far, it’s been a fun ride and I have many more quarters to go. I am looking forward to my upcoming time at Western Washington University.

Walking in the snow at Western Washington University:

Harry Potter Room in the Library at Western Washington University:

Snow on the campus of Western Washington University:

No comments:

Post a Comment