Monday, February 14, 2011

Body, Happy Valentine's Day!

Dear Body,

This Valentine’s Day, I wanted to apologize for a few things, and tell you how much I appreciate you—all of you. I know I don’t tell you enough. So, here it goes…

Legs. I often grab you and make fun of you, but then you continue to support me to get to where I need to go, to run, to twirl, to dance, to cuddle. I’m so thankful for you. I promise to be as kind to you as you have been to me. Thank you for forgiving me– You truly are beautiful, and quite helpful.

Butt. Sometimes I tell you I want you to be smaller, but the truth is, you make me feel sexy, no matter what the magazines say. It’s kinda’ hard to admit, but seriously–keep being you. Oh, and I’m so sorry for squeezing you into pants you clearly don’t want to be in. I really appreciate that you get it.

Stomach. I’m deeply sorry that I told you I wished you weren’t there, that I wished you were different than you are. That was a horrible thing to say to you. Sometimes it’s hard for me to remember who I am, and I end up putting the blame on you. It has nothing to do with you, I swear. You make me feel like a woman, and I’m learning to love that. It’s going to just take some time, so thank you from the bottom of my heart for your patience and understanding. Oh, and one day, you will be the very place my future children grow—I can’t tell you how much that means to me. OK, now I’m all emotional.

Boobs. I know I’ve been sending you mixed messaged. Sometimes I want you to be bigger, sometimes smaller, sometimes higher…I can’t imagine how confused you must feel. But no matter what I say, I really appreciate you- you really go with it and allow yourselves to be pushed up and down and all around, for my benefit. I can’t thank you enough. Oh, and I’m so sorry about that one bra poking you all the time.

Arms. I’m so sorry for calling you “mushy and fat”,that was so un-cool. Actually, it was downright bitchy. I can’t believe I would ever be that unkind to you—you allow me to hug, to write, to express myself when I talk–you are so important to me. I so appreciate you sticking with me, and I love you- truly, madly, deeply. Thank you for you.

Face. The fact that you allow me to poke and prod at you, wax you, pluck you, put you down, put makeup on you and leave mascara on you for what seems like days, then you turn around and allow me to express myself and let people know how I feel…It’s utterly amazing. And not to mention, I always thought my grandmother and mother were beautiful, and hearing from people that you look like them is truly a blessing. So thank you for that. Thanks for holding up, I promise to appreciate you forever, and to always smile in pictures to show off your teeth.

Hair. This really goes without saying, because we really do have a special relationship. We’ve been through bleaching, and darkening, straightening, and flat ironing together- you’ve been taken care of, only to be cut off multiple times. It’s hard to express to you how much I appreciate you for always hanging in there, growing back, and continuing to make me feel sexy. I’m so sorry about those one or two short hair cuts, I know you weren’t your best self. I promise to think through things really well before I ever do something like that again. Oh crap...

Feet and collar bone and ears and every part in between…you are the glue that keeps me together. Thank you for being you, for accenting my parts, for being part of me. I am forever grateful that you’re here.

Insides. Thank you for pushing your way to my outsides. I’m so happy the world can see you. I love you.

Body, Happy Valentine’s Day. I know I don’t tell you nearly often enough…I love you.

Adapted by Brook Miller, Boston, MA.

2 comments: